This morning I woke up to the sound of rain falling. It took me back to my home in the rainy pacific north west:) Every Memorial Day weekend we would have a camp out down at my grandma's property, and then on Monday morning there would be a big ward breakfast down at the campground. We'de have pancakes, bacon, and eggs cooked right over the fire. My dad would always rig up some tarps over and under our tent, because it would always rain without fail on this certain weekend. It was so fun camping out and then having a huge breakfast with all the ward. We would always have a flag ceremony and my grandpa would say something about the war he fought in, it was always good to hear, and to remember the reason why we celebrate this day.
So this morning when I woke up to the rain and the crisp air, I longed to be back home in a tent and having breakfast with our ward family. I treasure those memories, and looking back at my childhood the rain didn't seem too bad, it was normal to have it everyday ( no joke ). I guess once I got into my teenage years Memorial weekend wasn't as cool, but now that I'm so grown up:) I wish I could be there, and have things just as they were!! Since I can't be there I made pancakes and bacon to try to recapture it all. I hope everyone had a good weekend!! I don't even think people camp out anymore down at my grandma's, maybe one of these years I will be able to go back and have my dad rig up some tarps so My family won't get wet:)
Monday, May 26, 2008
Memorial Day
Posted by Skeem's at 11:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
Well Nicole, I don't know if people are still camping out there, but I know they are still having the ward breakfast. My mom wanted me to bring my kids down for it, but my hubby had to work so I declined, however...it is cloudy today-but no rain yet, just the lovely promise of 40% chance. So at least we know that plenty enjoyed pancakes, eggs, and bacon at Curran's and I am sure they had a wonderful and memorable time. I used to love those campouts (yes, I stayed plenty of times overnight) and the breakfasts the next morning. Thanks for reminding me!
What a great tribute honey! I think the last car just pulled out. We had an amazing turnout this year. Jesse invited a bunch of friends, Uncle Grant was here with Rhonda, we had some neighbors, and lots of ward friends and family!!! The funny thing is, me and dad were just saying, "remember when we used to camp out?" So, we invited Garth's 3oldest, Neil & Maddie set up a tent, Jesse set up a tent, and dad & I slept in the back of the truck under the big canopy!!! It was like old times, no tarps though, we sang around the campfire and told ghost stories. It was great!!! Love You ~ Missed you tons!!!!
The memories you share about growing up in Mcleary are so nostalgic for me. I LOVED coming up there in the summer and staying with you and your family, it was sanity for me!
Also, this is a little random, but I went to high school with your friend Lissel Dalton, only then she was Lissel Shorland. She was a year ahead of me in Elijah's grade. Say hello to her for me if you think of it!
Love You!!!!
Thank you Nicole for those comments.
I cried when I read them and you made me feel it was all worth it.
We love having the breakfast here every year. It is a lot of work getting ready but we have some wonderful neighbors that help us a lot (Your folks, Neil and other neighbors) We couldn't do it alone.
We miss you.
Love, Grandma Curran
That sure makes me miss the days of innocence, when we just hung out and camped and ran all over the country side without a care in the world! Boy, those days were fun, I just hope someday we can live close enough to eachother that our kids can do the same. Love ya!!! and can't wait to see you...only 7 days!!!
Post a Comment